Telford and Wrekin Council is the Planning Authority for this area which means that they are responsible for deciding whether a development – anything from an extension on a house to a new shopping centre or large housing estate – should go ahead.
As part of the planning process Newport Town Council, local Borough Councillors and the immediate neighbours of the property where development is proposed receive notice of any planning applications. As a statutory consultee the Town Council are normally given 4 weeks to comment.
When reviewing applications, the Town Council is only able to consider what have been established by law to be “material planning issues”. These can include:
- consistency with the development plan for the area
- traffic and highway safety issues
- overlooking, loss of privacy and loss of light
- scale of the development
- design, appearance, layout and materials to be used
- loss of important open space or physical features
- historic conservation for example listed buildings, ancient monuments or conservation areas
- noise, disturbance or smells
- local knowledge of drainage or other possible problems with the surface
- impact on the surroundings and wildlife
- previous planning decisions and legal case law
Issues that are not material planning issues, and therefore cannot be considered, include:
- effect on the value of neighbouring property
- loss of view over other people’s land
- possible future development not included in the application
- private property rights such as loss of light, boundary or access disputes
- matters covered by other laws or building regulations
- the morals or motives of the developer
- continuing opposition to the principle of development where planning permission has previously been approved (reserved matters applications)
The comments that Newport Town Council makes on planning applications can be found in the minutes of the Planning Committee meeting or on the Planning and Building Control pages of the Telford and Wrekin Council’s Council website.
Residents can also comment on planning applications directly to Telford and Wrekin Council via their online planning system click here or contact them on 01952 380380.